Using the Cockermouth Heritage Collection to inspire creativity
We are delighted to have secured a grant from the ACE Emergency Response Fund, which will support cultural experiences for the people of Cumbria during lockdown, and also help Kirkgate Arts to further develop its reach into the community.
As well as online performances, we are keen to offer people of all ages some inspiring and enjoyable opportunities for self-expression through creative projects.
For two of these we will use items from the Cockermouth Heritage Collection as stimuli. The Cockermouth Heritage Group is part of Kirkgate Arts, and holds a rich collection of documents, images and artefacts relating to the history of Cockermouth and the surrounding area.
Creative Writing: inspired by one of a small selection of images from the collection. Short stories or poems to be submitted in writing, or video/audio recording.
Visual art/craft: a response to one of a small selection of documents from the archive – in any visual medium. Submitted as photos of physical work; or digital artwork.
- Cumbrian artists employed to manage projects & provide online tuition
- Selected entries put online
- A selection of work displayed/presented at Kirkgate Centre after re-opening
- All who submit finished pieces given £10 voucher, so promoting further engagement with Kirkgate Arts
CALL FOR ARTISTS:
We are looking to appoint
- A professional writer
- A professional visual artist
To act as tutors/mentors on these projects.
Exact details of processes to be agreed with the appointed artists; but we expect these to include
- Introductory online tutorial/ challenge
- Interim skills support – hints and tips
- Selection of submitted work to be displayed on Kirkgate Arts website (and, eventually, we hope, as a physical presentation when the Kirkgate Centre re-opens)
There is a fee of £1,000 for each of these roles.
To apply: please send
- a brief proposal (no more than one side of A4) outlining what relevant experience you would bring, and any thoughts in response to the project outlines
- a CV
- links to websites and/or any other online media as appropriate
Email to email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR SUBMSSIONS: Friday 10 July 11 p.m.
If you have any queries, or would like an informal discussion about the project, please contact Chris Bridgman on the email above.