Where There’s Muck There’s Bras
A comic and thought-provoking show about the real Northern Powerhouse: Northern Women – the sung and the unsung! Performed by Stand-up Poet Kate Fox.
This funny, gently subversive performance/lecture uncovers the hidden history of the writers, scientists, sportswomen, politicians, protestors, musicians, innovators, activists and other heroines who represent the grit, determination and spirit of the North’s women.
Women you might have heard of include
- Britain’s first astronaut Helen Sharman
- the first female speaker of the House of Commons, Betty Boothroyd
- music hall star the inimitable Hylda Baker
Women you may not have heard of include
- Liverpool’s Hilda James who introduced the front crawl to the UK
- Lilian Bader, one of the first black women in the RAF
- “Red Ellen” Wilkinson, the MP who led the Jarrow March!
In this hilarious and thought provoking show, stand up poet and Radio 4 regular Kate Fox asks who gets remembered and why (and why not)!
“Funny and endearing with a cynicism that cuts through the whimsy” Sunday Telegraph
‘Kate Fox is funny, quirky and a wonderful writer’ Sarah Millican
“Where There’s Muck, There’s Bras, was insightful, hilarious and thought-provoking” Shauna Lewis, Durham Book Festival